Red Deer Museum + Art Gallery is OPEN! Book your visit here. Check out our Blog for art activities and up to date news!
4525-47a Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 6Z6
The Red Deer Museum + Art Gallery’s MAG Central is an engaging resource for object-based learning. Many everyday items from the past such as household objects, toys, military equipment, fur trade items, Indigenous tools, and photographs all highlight our regional history, tell personal stories or share insights into day-to-day life long ago.
1. Offers a sensory experience; and stimulates curiosity.
2. Creates direct links to specific topics or subjects in the curriculum.
3. Develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
4. Generates lively participation and discussion.
5. Encourages students to learn more about things that are of interest to them.
1. Sparks memories of the past.
2. Stimulates curiosity.
3. Facilitates discussion and socialization.
4. Sharing knowledge and interests.
Specifically designed kits allow teachers and group leaders to facilitate a program utilizing additional research and resources. They can select from a menu of topics (connected to the social studies curriculum) to borrow a pre-constructed kit including handouts and descriptive labels for each artifact; or they can select their own objects from our object lending library.
By bringing the museum to you, the MAG has created an outreach resource for schools and community organizations to enhance their programs, with ‘hands on history’.
Please book at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure items are available. Kits are free of charge and can be loaned out for a maximum of two weeks, and all loans require a refundable deposit of $50.00. Loan agreements will be signed at time of pick up and the deposit will be waived upon kit return.
Outreach presentations are available at a cost of $40.00/ hour. This includes a museum educator to accompany the kit and lead an inquiry-based learning opportunity.