4525-47a Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 6Z6
By: KarliBack to Collections
Toy Train Engine
Acc: 1876.432 1a
Collection of the Red Deer & District Museum Society
Gift of Mrs. Catherine M. Lerouge
This treasured toy belonged to three brothers, Camille, Robert and Pierre Lerouge. Using their first initials, the boys named it the “CPR” train. The train set came with their family when they moved from France to Red Deer in 1907.
The model train was made by a German company, Gebruder Bing, one of the largest toy companies the world in the early 20th century. The engine pulled the train along the tracks, operating on mineral spirits.
As an adult, Camille Lerouge worked for the Canadian Pacific Railroad for 47 ½ years. He was also a dedicated volunteer in the church and community. École Camille J. Lerouge School is named in his honour.
The train set, including the engine, cars, tracks, and loading cranes, is on display in the Children’s Gallery in the Remarkable Red Deer history exhibit.