4525-47a Avenue, Red Deer, AB T4N 6Z6
By: KarliBack to Collections
Popcorn Machine, manufactured by Manley Inc.
Collection of the Red Deer & District Museum Society
Gift of Mr. Howard Mullen
Howard Mullen was a progressive business man in Central Alberta. In 1959, Mullen opened the A&W restaurant on the North Hill. This restaurant was one of the first in Alberta, opening just three years after the famous fast food chain was started in Winnipeg.
Mullen purchased this popcorn machine from the Purnells, owners of the Paramount Theatre, and relocated it in the north side A & W. It now sits in the BMO Capitol Theatre in the Remarkable Red Deer history exhibit.
The MAG has many items from local movie theatres in the collection, including the old projector and three of the theatre seats from the Paramount Theatre.
Like classic movies? Then be sure to check out the Live Music/Silent Film event scheduled on October 27th, 2014.